As we ring in the New Year we would like to take this time to thank our readers for their support of the Car Care column that runs every other Wednesday in the Arizona Republic, and for your continued feedback and questions—keep them coming! We look forward to another year of helping you with your Car Care questions. And with that, we would also like to share with you a list of ‘resolutions’ for your car. Keep them in mind, and your car will thank you for it! Here’s our checklist:
- Perform your scheduled maintenance services
- Each month, check your tire pressure and tires as well as your lights and where possible, your fluids.
- Every three months have a complete lube oil and filter done on the vehicle. Wherever it’s done, be sure it includes checking the engine oil and filter, all fluid levels including the transmission and power steering fluids, battery check, belt and hose check.
- Every six months you should replace windshield wipers. Even though they aren’t used very often in Arizona, they can easily become dried out and brittle in the desert air.
- Every twelve months, check the brakes, spark plugs, coolant, steering and suspension.
- And, if your car is making a noise, listen—especially if you haven’t heard it before. Take it into a certified repair shop to help you diagnose any possible problems.